Monday, July 28, 2008

a week on the farm...part 2


We also did a little sightseeing with Big Momma's sister and her family. We went to Sleeping Bear Dunes where the baby and I trekked up the sandy slopes to get a peek from the heights at Lake Michigan way in the distance. The baby sucked down all our water and I carried her most of the way anyway. By the time we reached the summit of the dunes the view was fogged in. We paraded down the slopes, taking monster steps in the sand and sinking to our calves in the soft earth. At the bottom, my shoes were so packed with sand that they hurt from being too tight!


When I was a boy, our housekeeper and babysitter had a son who ran a dredge and fill business in Pasco County, and he would drop a load of white sand off for me to play in with my Tonka Trucks. I haven't had that much fun in a big honkin' sand pile until Sleeping Bear Dunes.

1 comment:

Steve Reed said...

I once went to some similar dunes on Lake Huron. Who knew Michigan is so sandy??

Too bad you couldn't bring along your Tonka trucks. (Or did you?)