Friday, March 13, 2009

Soap on a Rope

2 points...

First, when I was a kid, Soap on a Rope was a gimmick gift that you would typically get from your grandparents or your uncle or somebody, for your twelfth Christmas. Usually the stuff was green and frighteningly stinky, and bundled in some useless gift pack with Brut aftershave or, if you were lucky and your grandparents really loved you, Hi Karate.

Second, there is, admittedly, this unfortunate animal in modern capitalism dominated America, called the associated product promotion. You see it all over the place... Harley Davidson Edition Ford trucks, limited edition ESPN Sprint cell phones, and of course, the ubiquitous "free gift" your wife gets from the make-up counter at Dillards; usually something equally as useless as the stupidity you have to buy to get it, like a Genuine Vinyl make-up brush caddy, or maybe a 5 piece mirror set. WWOOYEE!

Now I've seen it all.

Race Face is a manufacturer of a pretty decent line of bike parts. They used to be a damn fine manufacturer of bike parts, but the modern twist on product manufacturing (read; import from China) means that they've joined the ranks of the 'decent' rather than the 'inspired'. And Now this...

Soap on a Rope. From Race Face. Uh...thanks guys.



3 comments:

Steve Reed said...

You know, I don't think I ever got soap on a rope. Obviously our grandparents loved you more than they loved me. :)

Of course, the soap-on-a-rope curse worked both ways -- it was also something one got FOR one's grandfather or uncle, having no idea what else to buy.

(I kind of remember that green soap on a rope, actually...you really had that, didn't you?)

utahDOG! said...

Yup. "Brut" Baby! Smelled like a cat's a$$...to stay on the recent feline theme.

I remember saving it too, I didn't want to use it because it had cool tooling in the surface of the soap. Or course, after kicking around in my toybox and stinking up my room for about 6 months, it pretty much looked like it had served shower duty after all.

So you never got soap on a rope?!? I know what somebody's getting for X-mas...

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I hear Eddie Murphy saying it now: "Brut, by Faberge..."