Friday, May 28, 2010

Yosemite Surgery

It has been at least a 6 months since I started this project...

Remember that I picked up a Yokota Yosemite Columbus OR tubed frame a while back, with the intention of painting it up in a topographic map style, (see the Yokota thread link there on the right to get up to speed), well I'm finally moving on with the frame alterations.


These goofy rack mounts have got to go.


And these upper mounts. Such nice noodling for the derailleur cables and the rear brake, and then this rack junk tacked on to the stays with brass. Ugly.

Let the Dremel Tool action commence!


Drive side, before the final clean up. Best to cut conservatively, as you can always take more off, but you can't put it back on! Well, not easily anyway...


Non-drive side...again, before final cleanup with a file.


Drive with a little cleanup underway.


Seat stays lose their tacky little rack mounts too. Again, before final cleanup, or during anyway.




A little grey primer and some sanding...


Now I'll do some sanding on the full frame, then hit any spots that may need minor filling, and then final sand and when that's all done...color!
-
It's been a long time since I've hand drawn maps...and I've never done it on a curved surface. I should practice first!

No comments: