Friday, May 20, 2011

Hanna on the Phoenix

I've launched a new riding schedule since I can't seem to get myself comfortable with commuting to work after my hospital stay. I surely cant sit around and only ride 2-3 times a month off road and expect to not turn into a complete fat slob, so something must be done. I say that like it is a crappy experience to ride the bike!

New schedule is...7:30-4:30 work time, I bail out of work and beat the going home rush hour traffic to the park and I'm on the trails by 5. Two hours and about 12-15 miles later and I've gotten in a good days work. Twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) makes for a nice compliment to weekend trips around the state that I have to make to hit the trails.



Yesterday was a beautiful afternoon on the trail. I took the Phoenix out, for a little comparison ride to my Tuesday ride on the blue EWR. The experiences were very different, and not really in a good way. I'm beginning to wonder something about the EWR (at least how I have it built). Does a long travel hardtail really make sense? Am I the only one who feels like the front of the bike wants to take big hits and drops all day and complains about technical riding and tight trails? While the back end wants to hit the twisy stuff all day long, but still seems to buck you occasionally as if to say "Don't get too frisky there pal, I'll still spit out a dropout if you ride me like a full susser"? Compared to the flickable WTB, the blue EWR feels like riding in a bowl of pudding. My white EWR never felt sluggish. Is it the fork? The travel? The general concept? Do I have to be Jordie Lunn to appreciate a long travel hardtail? I'll have to give it some thought...


...Jordie Lunn I am not!


Anybody else mildly questioning the worth of their long travel hardtails? I'm thinking I may buy a rigid fork for the EWR and give it a fling. The Turner is built now, so I don't need this bike to be suspended.

No comments: