Monday, April 15, 2013

Hitchcock would be proud!

The bird feeder has been doing well this spring.  In addition to the usual assortment of Chickadees, House Finches and Titmice, we have had Goldfinches also and then yesterday an Indigo Bunting!

Wary little fellows!
Black-Capped Chickadee


going in for the kill...



American Goldfinch





Indigo Bunting!

Yeah I'm a sloppy eater!  So what!?
 Isn't he awesome?



My favorite is the Tufted Titmouse though.  I would name my first born son "Tufted Titmouse Reed."

OK, not really, but he is a bad a$$ little critter!

So where's Tippi Hedren when you need her?

7 comments:

Goats Feed Birds said...

Neat :-)

Is that Niger Seed in the lower pictures?

We have that here for Goldfinches. they love the stuff :-)

utahDOG! said...

Black Sunflower seeds. Usually the Goldfinches go for Thistle, but it has to be fresh and not the bagged 10 months ago crap we get at the hardware store.

Steve Reed said...

Wow, that indigo bunting is amazing. I remember seeing those at Fort DeSoto with mom one time -- but I don't think I ever saw them just out in the yard.

We have goldfinches here too, but they're a different species, from what I can tell -- red on the face and around the beak

Goats Feed Birds said...

Thistle/Niger....same thing. In fact they've stopped calling it Niger in some places due to the phonetic Faux Pas that the name causes :-O

@Steve Reed
Do your Goldfinch look like this?

http://4eyesphoto.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/goldfinch-CR-B-GF17.jpg

If so they are the same as our UK ones :-)

utahDOG! said...

Goat, my brother Steve is in your neck of the woods now. Not only do you probably have the same birds, you are probably looking at the same exact bird!

Goats Feed Birds said...

D'Oh! I always thought he was Stateside.

I'll keep an eye out for a cool looking dude (like in his profile piccy) staring at small yellow birds :-)

utahDOG! said...

Look for the cool guy in the shades taking random pictures of graffiti with a big-a$$ camera while being dragged around by a Pit Bull... er.... I mean "Staffordshire Terrier."