Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cannondale Beast of the East update









I finally got the Pepperoni fork mounted on the Beast. I only had the thing for 8 months...
-
I built this bike as sort of a resto-mod, as far as the drivetrain is concerned, converting the older XT hubs to XTR 9 speed and then fitting Dura Ace shifters and a Sram cassette and chain. The rest of the bike is pretty period for the year. The Deore DX parts would have been installed on the Beast thru 92, and then LX with DX thumbshifters for 93 and 94. The Force 40 brakes are on the front, but because Force 40s were such a horrible invention, I've kept the X-IT Dual-Eez hanger that I originally fitted to the back. Hey, I worked for those guys, so I gotta represent (even if they are now defunct!) The threadless 1.25 headset arrangement was a problem, sorting the Cannondale fork. I had a Kona P2 fork on there (with a King Devolution headset), but it looked like hell, and the longer suspension corrected fork raked out the geometry horribly. Now with a Pepperoni the bottom bracket height is back to a more manageable 13" or so...
-
I'm very happy with the results... The bike rides wonderfully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty aggressive position on the Beast. Looks like you are getting ready to race.
Paul

utahDOG! said...

Everything from 1993 looks like its ready to race!

Raphael said...

awesome bike,
congrats