Monday, December 15, 2008

On the commute...

On the ride home, which again is a very manageable 5.5 miles (I normally ride the commute on a mountain bike with knobbies, and treat is as an individual time trial...push it!), I had a woman in a Honda Civic Hybrid blow her horn at me in anger! I had pulled off the main drag and was tooling through the San Marco neighborhood on the south bank, an area where I lived before we bought the house, and I heard the woman pull up behind me and then...honk!! Then I got the hand! WTF lady, you're in a hybrid! Aren't we somehow supposed to be on the same side?!? Maybe you're tweaked that the cost of gas has gone back down the toilet and suddenly made your overpriced Civic much less of a bargain than you'd planned?

Who knows. What I do know, is that we were in a very residential neighborhood, with many parallel parked cars, and it wasn't hard at all for me to catch up and send the look of panic across her face. Not that I'd have done anything to her...I'm not retaliatory toward rude drivers...and it's not her fault that she's an arrogant idiot, but I just knew that if I could catch her, that maybe, just maybe, she'd feel a little less in-the-car brave about roughing up a cyclist the next time the opportunity presents itself. People are frequently surprised by how not-past a bike you are when you're in a car in the city. I'm right there, lady. 23-25mph. Smile and be nice and I'll accommodate you too. Be a creep, and I'll be happy to point out, ever so politely, that you're really not moving that much faster than me.

2 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Wonder what her deal was?

utahDOG! said...

Obama-itis. The infliction presents itself as an uncontrolable urge to represent yourself and your vote as the one true savior of modern society. I still think she should just get the hell out of her car!